No other religion must constantly shout from the rooftops that is is peaceful more than Islam, but is it really the religion of peace?
Here are some interesting statistics:
- One of the suspected terrorists involved in the Paris bombings was helped more by friends and neighbors than by the Islamic state – There are reports that when he was finally caught and arrested after four months, his neighbors tried to stop the police and called him ‘their hero’.
- According to polls, 20% – 40% of Muslims all across the west believe that suicide bombings are ‘sometimes justified’ and that they have sympathy for the motives behind the Paris attacks.
- 40% of Muslims in the UK want to implement Sharia law in some parts of the country – you know, the extremist ‘eye for an eye’ sort of thing. Speaking of which, a man recently had one of his eyes gouged out in the middle east for attacking another man with acid. You see this is why ‘an eye for an eye’ is a bad message.
- A third of Muslims in the UK think that violence against those who criticize or mock the prophet Muhammad is justified.
- There has been 28,090 terrorist attacks in the name of Islam since 9/11, with 117 attacks within the last 30 days, killing 906 people.
So you can already see the Muslim community as a whole has mixed feelings about terrorism and violence in the name of Islam. Now to look at some of the verses in their Holy Book.
And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing. And do not fight them at al-Masjid al- Haram until they fight you there. But if they fight you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers. Quran 2:191-193
“Then fight in the cause of Allah, and know that Allah Heareth and knoweth all things.” Quran 2:244
“As to those who reject faith, I will punish them with terrible agony in this world and in the Hereafter, nor will they have anyone to help.” Quran 3:56
“And be not weak hearted in pursuit of the enemy; if you suffer pain, then surely they (too) suffer pain as you suffer pain…” Quran 4:104
“I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them” Quran 8:12
“O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness.” Quran 9:123
Hmm…doesn’t look very peaceful to me.
Let’s not forget Muhammad went about destroying the idols of the lands he went to, and killing and destroying anybody who disagreed with him. And why are all Muslim theocracies terrible when it comes to human rights?
Now to be fair, Christianity is not much better. It has it’s fair share of death and destruction, and an extremist Christian group could use the story of the invasion of Canaan to ‘prove’ that genocide is Biblically justifiable. And thankfully the majority of both Christians and Muslims cherry-pick the good verses in their books, and quite frankly I will take that over consistency in this case.
But the fact still remains that Islam is not a religion of peace. It is a particularly potentially dangerous ideology that can easily be used as both a cause and a justification for all kinds of horrible acts.
Further reading and Citations used:
Imgae courtesy of David Castillo Dominici at FreeDigitalPhotos.net