Right after God nearly made Abraham kill his son, his wife dies. A lot of this chapter is just ‘bla bla bla strange name bla bla bla another strange name bla bla bla’, so things have been shortened a bit.
- Sarah lived to be 127, yet again breaking God’s 120 lifespan rule.
2. She died at Kiriath in the land of Caanan, and Abraham went to go and buy supplies from the Hittites.
3. “I want to bury my dead in your land, so give me the space and supplies I will need or God will kill you” Abraham said.
4. And the Hittites said unto him,
5. “Alrighty then, go do it in that cave over there.”
6. And Abraham said, “I am feeling nice, so I will buy the field with the cave in it from your people.”
7. And the leader of the Hittites said, “no, I gave you the field, why pay for it if I GAVE it to you?”
8. But Abraham said, “I just told you that I want to buy it, and buy it I shall.”
9. So Abraham paid for something that he could have gotten for free, and went to bury his wife there.
10. Abraham paid 400 shekels of silver to the leader of the Hittites, and they wondered where he had gotten so much money from.
11. So Ephron’s field in Machpelah near Mamre, both the field and the cave in it, and all the trees within the borders of the field, were given to Abraham to bury his wife.
The New Bible homepage can be found here.
Image courtesy of Vectorolie at FreeDigitalPhotos.net