There are many, many things that the God of the Bible declares as a sin. From the obvious like murder, theft and lying, to Leviticus sins like being tattooed and cutting your hair. But besides the fact that God allows evil, he is actually a sinner. Bible verses have been added to prove that these things are sins, but seeing as you don’t always get a neat list ordering out sins, some are more evidence than others. But a lot of the things God does the Bible doesn’t approve of.
- God punishes people if they worship other Gods, this is called both envy and jealousy, and they are sins according to Galatians 5:19-21.
- God lets disasters and tragedies happen when he could have stopped them, this is called sloth and is a sin according to Proverbs 20:4.
- God expects his followers to devote their lives to him, this is called pride and is a sin according to Psalms 59:12.
- God insists that followers pay him in one way or another, be it with money, offerings or submission, this is called greed and is a sin according to 1 Corinthians 6:9-10.
- God is a murderer, which violates most bible verses about morality and law.
- God intends of being part of every marriage, this is called lust and is a sin according to Exodus 20:14.
- Jesus lies about prayer, and Jesus is God, so God lies about prayer, this is called bearing false witness and is a sin according to Exodus 20:16. (Article about Jesus lying can be found here)
So, God has committed his fair share of sins and crimes, including murdering 2 million people in the Bible, being selfish, insecure, and short-tempered. Who is God to call us sinners when he is the biggest sinner of them all – he even invented sin! Proof that God invented evil, and therefor sin, can be found in Isaiah 45:7.
Bible verse of the day #32 (references Isaiah 45:7)
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net